Tonight was Farrington's season conference opener with a game versus the Kaiser Cougars. Our boys were coming off of their victory over Iolani, and Kaiser was licking wounds from a 51-0 rollover by St. Louis in previous week's play.
Someone told me after church on Sunday, "Easy win." I had to push back and tell him, "no, there is NO easy win, not at all."
At the locker room before game time, Coach Randall allowed me to share before the prayer and blessing. I told a story a long time ago, when I was 11 and delivering papers. This scraggly little cat used to startle me, and this particular Sunday morning, I chased it up a flight of stairs at the apartment I delivered paper to. I grabbed two newspapers and went after the cat. Stuck on the second floor, the cat was backed into a corner. Before I could wave and give the cat a hard time, it pounced. Right at my face! AAAAHH!
I shared with the team, that Kaiser was beaten badly the week before, and our team had a great win. I told them that Kaiser was the cornered cat. Not to underestimate them even in their condition. To play good ball, be strong, but to be HUMBLE. To give the victory to Jesus means to play with all heart, and not take anything for granted.
It was hard to watch the Kaiser team try their best, and it sometimes got a bit...well....intense, with some fouls being called. But cool heads prevailed and Farrington has their first conference victory of the season down.
FINAL SCORE: Farrington 46, Kaiser 0. TYJ.
No comments:
Post a Comment